This weeks weekend relevant prompts for Monday Haiku are:
- Carrying a half barrel – A local Home Depot is moving so and has some discounts. We bought a half barrel, amongst other things, to use as a planter. It kindly covered me in mess.
- POV and other characters – I was thinking a bit about POV for a novel I am about to begin writing. I have several key characters and the question is whether to do the whole thing from one characters POV or to focus a bit on some of the other characters. Either could work (hopefully very) well. POV was also being considered on Jmmcdowell’s blog. Check it out.
- UFC Pay per view – I went to a friends house where they had the UFC pay per view on. I wanted Silva to win. He did. We followed it with a game of Poker. I’m kind of new to Poker. It was fun.
So here we go:
Fancy half barrel
Flowers? Give me a new suit
of charcoal and rust
There are no flowers in it yet.
I entered my mind
to find a clear point of view
no perspective found
Or to put it another way, I’m still non the wiser:
Check UFC pay per view
Silva wins again
Bonus Haiku is again looking at the Carrie Rubin’s son’s “awful offspring offal”, because a) it is amusing, b) I’m being lazy in inspiration terms for the bonus Haiku, and c) I didn’t want to rewrite much of this paragraph. So blah, blah, something, blah. Oh yeah, There might be some naughty words so if offended jump over the dotted lines below, or alternatively, if enticed, jump between the dotted lines below:
To blood, sweat and tears,
the mighty trek we do grace
Oh sights to behold
Put forth and describe
the wonder of those two peaks
Look, two penises
Things I learned this weekend:
- This was more a reminder, but I’m a firm believer in advice or inspiration coming from the unexpected sources, therefore keep your eyes and ears open. And indeed this weekend…
- I’m pretty much ready to write a new novel based on an idea I had about six weeks ago. I have been pondering the details, main characters, and themes over the last few weeks. This one has a strong arc, and is about ready to go.
- Three posts a week is suiting me fine right now, and I try to keep up with blogs for a little while, every other day.
- How to play poker. I had never played before saturday. I thought it was good fun. I got Zynga Poker on my iPhone (also available on Facebook). I might become addicted.
- After last weeks poll, I’m going to read (first) Gene Weingarten’s “Fiddler in the subway”.
- I wanted to put a daft poll on this post influenced by last thursdays “Louie” (the first two seasons of this are on Netflix streaming in the US so check it out). Or is it some kind of psychological test? Hmm, answer and see, all may be revealed at a later date.
Lexicon word of the day: rubiginous.