A few weeks back I wrote a post on something called the “the blog post trail game” or a thing along those lines, for it had not yet been given an official name. I have as yet, still to set this up, for a variety of reasons, but I am planning to go ahead with it. I will host the “home page” which will be a dedicated section or pages, of my blog relating to this game. If someone wishes to participate, but doesn’t know anyone from the blogs who have participated thus far, or simply want to participate but have not been chosen, or wants to be there so someone can choose them, then they can comment and be added to a list of willing participants stored there. The list of posts thus far, or the trail if you like, will also be stored there. As will a reserve list of prompts / ideas. So with that in mind, here is what I consider to be the rules:
- The blog writer will have 13 days to post in, based on the prompt or idea given to them. They can do it at any point within that period. I don’t know why 13 days, but I liked the number.
- The blog writer must be willing to pass it on to another blogger either chosen themselves, or chosen from the “reserve” list on the home page. It can be passed to one blogger only. The blogger receiving it must be willing to receive it, otherwise someone who is willing must be chosen.
- The blogger passing it on must also pass on a prompt or an idea that the new blogger needs to write about. It can be anything they want. For example it might be “The Snake”. Another example is, “Ten ways the seventies were better than the eighties”. Whatever they want really.
- The blogger who receives this prompt or idea can deal with it in any way they want. They can write about the subject, write some fiction, a poem, put up a recipe that is related in some way, a song list / mix tape, an essay. Really anything they want to so long as it relates in some way.
- The blog writer must link back to the previous poster in their post.
- The blog writer must link to the next blogger (when known). That the trail is maintained not just on the “home” page.
- Somewhere in the post, the blog writer must post a link to the “home” trail page, so I can track the trail, and others can use the “Home page” to follow it.
- No re-blogs. Other posts or links can be referenced, but the majority of the post must be original.
So it is a game where the blogger is committed to writing a post from a prompt or idea, and coming up with a new prompt or idea which they pass on to someone else. It ought to be simple. It ought to give a taster of many different bloggers and styles.
Still to do:
- Come up with an “official” name, although I think it will be “the alternative map of blog”
- Come up with a badge or icon type thing that can be displayed on the side of the blog, stating “I’m a participant in the alternative map of blog”, or whatever I eventually call it. Or stating something else along those lines.
A few bloggers said they would like to participate from the earlier post. If anyone else wants to be in the list (or wants to make sure they are on the list), please let me know below. I think to begin with I will have my wife pick at random from the list, and that will be the first person it will be passed to. Everyone else gets to go on the reserve list. What I also need are some potential ideas or prompts for me to start the thing off. I would kindly ask that you post any ideas below and again, my wife can choose the idea at random from those submitted. Of course if you have any other questions or ideas, feel free to mention those.
Lexicon word of the day: Quadruped.