This weeks bit of news to begin with:
Umm, projects moving very slowly right now, i.e. not at all. Blogging time, getting some in. Methinks I really need Scrivener to appear on the iPad.
- Gas Prices (Haiku)– Gas prices shot up in Southern California, nearly 50 cents a gallon overnight in some places on thursday. Cue scenes of long lines at the gas pumps, chaos, how will people live their lives. Well it still isn’t anywhere close to what it costs in the UK where there is a lot more tax on it, so relatively speaking, what is the big deal. Anyone would think people’s children were being stolen.
- Crayon eating (Haiku) – I’m sure this happens to every parent, but whilst my boy was using his crayons, and my wife was in the next room (but still keeping an eye), he chose this as the moment to try eating some. He’s getting sneaky now, and chooses his moments well. For my wife it took 25 minutes to get all the pieces from his mouth..
- Boundaries (Tanka) – I wrote a post about this last week. I suppose I am not finished yet.
So here we go:
Stop! Put up your hands
give me all of your money
I am gas prices
Hmm, don’t like this one. I could have done with more verses.
Red. Licky bite, bite
got to try these wax crayons
ease my back teeth through
Hmm again I feel I could have done with more. Maybe this should have been a Tanka, rather than Haiku
Where are boundaries?
yet you see or not do see
think that you are free
to write unbound, open mind
but it’s all a state of mind
For my view on this, you should really read the prior post.
This section is going to sometimes be “Bonus Haiku” (see last mondays post) i.e. A bit ruder or more adult haiku, OR a rant about something, or maybe an amusing video.
A short rant for this week on Carmageddon II:
The local LA news stations discussed this like it was a major world event. It was headline news. The lead story. It was on the Huffington Post. This really affected people. So here is what you need to know. Last weekend a 10 mile section of the 405 freeway near Los Angeles was closed down for the weekend, because of some maintenance issue, or construction issue, or to retrieve numerous abandoned car tyres and car bumpers. I forget which. But anyway, it was closed last weekend, a whole 10 miles of it. Yup, that’s right. Just 10 miles. Anyone new to the area would think the world was ending. Websites published handy (by which I mean obvious and pointless, or useful for morons) hints such as these five here. People were warned to stay away from the area, which I presume to mean if you cannot read signs. Was it all necessary? No. Warnings yes, good information for people. Lead News story? No, who cares? It was closed on a weekend. Choose a different route if you need to go that way. It is not that big a deal. Carmageddon II? Er… a big fat no. People stayed away. Nothing was busy. It didn’t merit the news coverage, even on an otherwise slow weekend.
What I learned this weekend
- People are very precious about gas prices, and less so about the harmful effects it has on the planet you live on, and the future it gives your children. The car burning gas I mean, not the price of it.
- The boy cannot use crayons unsupervised!
- The difference between Medicare and Medicaid (best not to ask).
The next post will likely be friday. Have a nice week.
Lexicon word of the day: autarky.